Successfully enduring as the only large, historic luxury hotel in America to remain in the hands of its original owners, The Breakers achieves its “Quasquicentennial” milestone
PALM BEACH, FL – One of America’s most iconic destinations, The Breakers Palm Beach marks its 125th Anniversary with a celebratory year beginning January 16, 2021. Renowned for its gracious service, unparalleled seaside glamour and world-class amenities, The Breakers was founded in 1896 by American visionary and oil/real estate/railroad magnate, Henry M. Flagler. The resort is still owned and cherished by the heirs of Flagler and his wife, Mary Lily Kenan, and has thrived under four generations of the Kenan family while independent of chain affiliation.
Located on the pristine shores of the island of Palm Beach in South Florida, The Breakers has prevailed as one of just over 1,000 family-owned businesses in the U.S. that is over 100 years old and still under its original ownership, and has also been recognized as one of the longest, continuously operating businesses in the state of Florida.
To commemorate its history, The Breakers is celebrating this momentous occasion throughout 2021 with its team, guests, club members and community. Festivities include:
- The State of Florida and The Town of Palm Beach recognized January 16, 2021, as The Breakers Palm Beach Anniversary Day
- Engaging social media content and collaborations throughout the year (@thebreakers)
- 12 Months of Giving employee volunteer activities themed around 125 to support the local community
- Various “125” touchpoints showcased throughout the guest experience, from illuminated exteriors around our 140-acre property, to signature amenities, art and family activities
- An exclusive collection of food & beverage experiences featured at different times throughout the year, including special prix-fixe menus, a 125th-Anniversary cocktail (Aged to Perfection - a twist on a classic Collins) and a traditional holiday tea
- Limited-edition merchandise, including apparel, accessories and home gift items
“Reaching 125 years is a testament to Henry Flagler's vision, the unwavering commitment of the Kenan family and the timeless appeal of Palm Beach,” said Paul Leone, CEO of The Breakers. “Our owners' long-term, purpose-driven approach to our business, and their passion for the well-being of our team, have a profound impact on The Breakers’ longevity. Each year, ownership reinvests over $25 million in continuous enhancements to sustain the artful balance of preservation and modernization. Vital to our success is the enduring devotion of the Kenan family, the dedication of our employees and the loyalty of our customers. Our storied history as an ever-improving, dynamic enterprise inspires our belief that the best is yet to come.”
For additional information please visit thebreakers.com/125.