PALM BEACH, FL –The biggest surprise to those long familiar with The Breakers Palm Beach, a luxury hotel built by Henry Morrison Flagler at the turn of the last century, is its thriving family market . The legendary oceanfront resort, continuously renewed with an ageless, multi-generational appeal, transformed from a grand dame of formality into one of the most timeless family vacation destinations in the world.
Recognized by Parents Magazine as a “Best Family Friendly Resort,” The Breakers radiates an irresistible charm that engages adults and children, thanks to its genuinely family-minded and resourceful staff, an aura of casual sophistication, and an array of dining options and recreational amenities. Even with its palatial, Italian Renaissance design, the hotel welcomes discerning families with the warm hospitality of an inn . Accommodations and guest services ensure that comfort is on par with the elegance one would find at a grand residence.
The Breakers’ Family Entertainment Center, outdoor playground and Camp Breakers delight children with memorable experiences while on vacation. At the same time, adults can savor indulgences on their own, such as The Spa, a lively evening of drinks and sharing plates at HMF, or a romantic dinner at one of the resort’s distinctive restaurants.
According to Tricia Taylor, senior vice president & general manager of The Breakers and the mother of two children, “We want to enhance the overall resort experience for guests of all ages and to make their stay unforgettable . This commitment is evident in virtually every area of the hotel, and fosters great loyalty among our clientele – including the little ones, who grow up to remember The Breakers as a very special place,” she continued.
The Breakers’ accommodations were redesigned with families in mind, and the resort guarantees connecting rooms at the time of booking. Families have the opportunity to reserve in advance up to three adjoining guest rooms, including king and double-bedded rooms to give adults more privacy while the kids are in close proximity. As always, children stay free in the same room as their parents, and have the choice of a rollaway bed (in Premium and Atlantic guest rooms, and most suites) or sofa bed (where available).
At the time of reservation, many details can be covered in advance of arrival to ensure the optimal experience for families. Guests or their travel agents are encouraged to provide helpful information to the resort during the booking process — such as estimated time of arrival, food allergies and ages for childproofing — to give parents greater peace of mind and to create a safer environment for youngsters. Services and amenities include:
- Childproofing is available at time of booking. Names and ages of children are entered into the guest’s record, and this service is offered if there are infants or children ages one to three. It includes the removal of plastic bags from garbage pails, horizontal surfaces are cleared, furniture corner guards are added; outlet sockets are covered; and an infant bath can be placed in the tub and its spout covered. Bottle warmers, nursing equipment, bed rails and diaper changing tables are also available and can be requested at the time of reservation.
- Step stools for children; available for families/guests with children three years of age and older, upon request
- Childcare specialists experienced in caregiving for infants, toddlers and children of all ages, with certification in CPR, first-aid and automated external defibrillator (AED), and first-hand knowledge and familiarity with the resort. It is recommended to book at least 24 hours in advance of arrival.
- Mini-refrigerators can be reserved in advance. The fridge can be stocked with child-friendly items such as juice boxes upon request.
- Strollers available for use during guests’ stays, for nominal fee
- Media options: in-room movie system offers games and age-appropriate movies. All rooms feature family-friendly cable channels such as The Disney Channel, Nickelodeon™ and the Cartoon Network™.
This unique and captivating, seven-day-a-week program provides children with an opportunity to create memorable experiences . Its fun-filled, organized activities are based on children’s developmental skills, recreational and social interests, and specially designed for ages 3 to 5 (Shortboards) and 6 to 12 (Longboards), with a focus on creativity, imagination, arts & crafts and outdoor adventures. Campers also partake in sports to promote health and fitness, water games to enjoy the resort’s oceanfront location and various crafts that yield special mementos of a child’s stay.
Operated by a staff fully-trained in CPR, AED, and first aid, Camp Breakers maintains a one-to-six counselor-to-child ratio. Child care specialists encourage sun protection and assist children with re-applying sunscreen regardless of weather conditions. Participants are provided with water and snacks throughout the day.
Camp is flexibly scheduled and priced per full-day session (9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.), or evening (5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.), to accommodate family and individual preferences. Both camp sessions include a dining experience.
Signature Recreational Amenities
Inclement weather never puts a damper on happenings at The Breakers. Children and their parents can visit the Family Entertainment Center – a secure, self-contained 6,100-square-foot complex that is open daily. Resort staff members float throughout the facility at all times, readily available to serve guests. The Center features:
- Arcade with a video game lounge with Xbox® One and PlayStation® 4, surrounded by more than 20 classic and contemporary games
- Toddler and children’s playroom encircled by glass windows (allowing patrons of the adjacent family-friendly Italian Restaurant to view their children inside)
- Camp Room, featuring a 1,000 gallon Salt Water Aquarium filled with indigenous marine life
- Indoor activities include seasonal themed parties, painting, glitter tattoos, jewelry making, science experiments, and more
- Outdoor activities include nature walks, catamaran cruises, bicycle tours, kayaking, snorkeling, banana boat rides, among many other seasonal and holiday-specific activities such as carnivals
- Basketball court for individual and group play
- Playground 4,500 square feet of outdoor space featuring slides, tunnels, bridges, puzzles and interactive games featuring sensory components. Benches nearby for parents to supervise comfortably whether under the area’s sunshades by day or lights at night
- Bicycle rentals are available for personal use or as part of a guided tour of Palm Beach; helmets are available and must be worn by all children under 16 years old
- Four pools on the premises; one specifically for families - the Active Pool with zero depth entry
- Luxury Poolside Bungalows near the Active and South Pools are available for day rentals. These premium cabanas enable families to enjoy each pool area with the conveniences of a home, such as a refrigerator, TV, full private bath and a Bungalow Concierge to fulfill requests, whether for a new pool toy from the nearby Beach Shop, or an ice cream treat
- Pool and beach activities can include Kids’ Intro to Scuba and beach games
- American Red Cross certified swimming lessons and water sport activities are available upon request for an additional fee
- The Ocean Golf Course features Family Fun Golf after 3:00 p.m. for at least one adult and one child. . Adults pay a nominal fee for club rental, shoe rental and greens fee, and children 5-16 are free. Children’s club rentals are complimentary and children's tees and scorecards are available. The Ocean Course is recognized by U.S. Kids Golf and Play Golf America as a Family Friendly Facility.
- Junior Golf Academy cover a variety of topics including full swing, chipping, putting and on-course play. Summer camps and after-school programs are offered, as well as sessions during holidays and spring break, designed for players of all levels.
- The Breakers’ Junior Tennis Academy has been designed to instill an overall appreciation of tennis while developing the foundation for playing and enjoying the game. Summer camps and after-school programs are offered, as well as sessions during holidays and spring break, designed for players of all levels.
Daily Family Events and Activities For All Ages
Events designed for family participation are scheduled year round at The Breakers. A roster of daily activities and entertainment enchants guests of all ages and varying interests, from hotel scavenger hunts, environmental and historic hotel tours, and bicycle tours of Palm Beach, to family fun golf, guided snorkeling adventures and catamaran cruises. À la carte family time sets up parents and children to enjoy a private activity together at the multi-faceted resort – a snorkeling excursion, bike ride, kayaking trip, golf or tennis round-robin, or even an eco-tour.
“At The Breakers, a pleasurable time eating out does not have to translate into ‘babysitter!’” affirms Nick Velardo, vice president of food and beverage – restaurants, and the father of two boys. “In fact, guests thoroughly enjoy our restaurants with their children, as a wonderful backdrop for shared experiences,” he continued. Each of the resort’s nine distinct restaurant concepts – regardless of the level of formality – is family-friendly, thanks to staff preparedness and responsiveness. The resort features a wide range of dining options from casual to elegant settings, including eight on-site and one situated off-property. Children three years of age and under eat free of charge when ordering from the children’s menu.
All restaurants, with the exception of HMF, have children’s menus (including healthy options) with coloring books and crayons, and the team at each restaurant ensures that service, atmosphere and food are tailored to meet young diner’s needs, by offering the following:
- Incorporating organic ingredients to provide healthy yet tasty menu items for kids
- Customizing menus to accommodate food allergies and dietary restrictions
- Fast service, with kids’ orders placed immediately so they can enjoy their entrees while parents savor leisurely, multi-course service
For the in-between snack, there is a full, in-room dining menu for children and News & Gourmet for packaged items, cold-pressed juices, fruit, and ice cream.