PALM BEACH, FL – Recognized as one of America’s most iconic resorts, The Breakers Palm Beach has thrived for more than 125 years, in part, due to its devoted family ownership (heirs of founder Henry M. Flagler, circa 1896) and their commitment to ongoing revitalization throughout the property’s 140 acres. Each year, the organization invests an average of $25 million to carefully balance preservation and modernization, which includes the continuous evolution of the hotel’s grand, Italian Renaissance-inspired interiors.
Looking to establish a long-term collaboration, The Breakers partnered with Tihany Design in 2012 – one of the world’s preeminent hospitality design ateliers. Together, for the last decade, they have been transforming this legendary, oceanfront resort to its most captivating, stunning potential — venue by venue, space by space.
This November (2022) commemorates the 10-year anniversary of The Breakers-Tihany Design affiliation, which launched with the opening of HMF - a chic social club that pays tribute to the classic Palm Beach cocktail culture of the 50s and 60s. This project served as The Breakers first foray into transformative design, bridging the high life of past and present.
Over the years, Tihany Design — led by founder Adam D. Tihany and managing partner Alessia Genova — has helped reimagine many facets of The Breakers, while carefully modernizing the resort’s original aesthetic. Spanning accommodations, restaurants, leisure amenities and retail, each location distinctly showcases customization, authenticity, creativity, appreciation for the luxury lifestyle and cultural enrichment. These concepts even consider sensory components and movement, such as guest flow and transition points.
“Tihany Design has been an incredible partner and deserves tremendous credit for the impact their work has had on our success," said Paul Leone, CEO of The Breakers. “Our guests are the true beneficiaries of this 10-year collaboration. We have simply provided evidence that with extraordinary investment and care, The Breakers will endure with a renewed, ageless spirit for generations to come.”
“We truly value our special relationship with The Breakers and are proud of the role our talented design team plays in the resort’s exciting, ever-evolving future,” said Adam D. Tihany, founder of Tihany Design. “Our concepts instill timeless allure and contemporary appeal throughout this legendary property; they mark the meaningful, steady and onward progression of this Palm Beach icon and its luxury lifestyle. Today, our collaboration is as energized as ever, with Alessia leading the renovation of the ultra-chic Flagler Club.”
Project Timeline: Tihany Design at The Breakers
- The Breakers/Tihany Design partnership begins with the debut of HMF – a restaurant/lounge concept named after the resort’s founder, Henry Morrison Flagler.
- Flagler Steakhouse, a vibrant take on the classic American chophouse, is reimagined.
- In tandem with the unveiling of Flagler Club, a 25-room ultra-luxury boutique hotel within-the-hotel, Tihany designs the Lounge & Terrace for this exclusive, private-access, lodging experience.
- Seafood Bar reopens; interiors are inspired by the yachting lifestyle of Palm Beach and include breathtaking, sweeping views of the Atlantic.
- Tihany Design refreshes the resort’s guestrooms, which include the Imperial and Royal Poinciana Suites, as well as the lobby, Ponce de Leon Ballroom and the resort’s 25 poolside bungalows.
- The resort’s second off-site restaurant, Henry’s Palm Beach, opens at Via Flagler by The Breakers (an alfresco shopping plaza), a destination for American comfort food with character featuring Tihany Design interiors.
- Main Street by The Breakers, a classic café and contemporary boutique, opens at Via Flagler, and the Gulfstream Meeting Rooms are refreshed.
- Tihany Design is currently renovating Flagler Club’s 25 guestrooms & suites.